Hopovo Monastery, with its Church of St. Nicholas presents the most important architectural building in the region. The first written mention of the monastery dates from 1451. The present church was built in 1575-1576 . Monastery fresco-painting is one of the most important art in the Balkan area. Monastery with a rich library and treasure particularly suffered during the Second World War. The restoration of the church began in 1949. . Serious work on the adaptation of the monastery took place between 1952 and 1962.